I don’t care about the money. Can I just change the locks?

No. A landlord can never just change locks to evict a tenant. A landlord cannot just call the sheriff. Without a court order, the sheriff cannot  evict a tenant.

This is true even if the landlord is not interested in trying to collect money owed, there is no written rental agreement, there was a lease that has now expired, or any other reason. The landlord must always go through the eviction process in court if the tenant refuses to leave.

Leave a comment